Still Use It?
PHP is best known as the language behind the popular WordPress CMS/framework. It runs the majority of the web but it also has developed a bad reputation.
- Awesome PHP (GitHub)
- Design Patterns in PHP (GitHub)
- PHP The Right Way (GitHub)
- Clean Code PHP (GitHub)
- 30 Seconds of PHP Code (GitHub)
- PHP FIG
- Composer – 20.7k Stars – The main tool used to manage dependencies in PHP.
composer -v– Check that composer is working, see currently installed version.
composer list– See a list of the available commands for composer.
composer help command– Shows documentation related to the desired command.
composer init– Initializes composer for the given project.
composer require name/package– Adds to the composer.json and can install the specified package.
name/packageto indicate this dependency is only needed for development, not production.
composer show– List of currently required packages.
composer install– Uses an existing composer.json to install dependencies.
composer update– Updates dependencies to latest available.
- Packagist – An online repository of packages for PHP, used in conjunction with Composer.
- Twig – 6.3k Stars – Template Engine.
- Guzzle – 17.5k Stars – PHP HTTP Client.
- Grav – 11.2k Stars – Flat-file CMS.
- Slim – 10.1k Stars – Micro Framework.
- October – 8.9k Stars – CMS built on Laravel.
Static Code Analysis
- PHPUnit – 14.6k Stars – The defacto standard for unit testing PHP.
- Xdebug – 1.7k Stars
- PHP Debug Bar – 3.2k Stars
- Faker – 21.6k Stars
- Prophecy – 6.8k Stars – Mocking framework.
- PHP Code Coverage – 6.5k
- Mockery – 8.3k Stars – For creating mock objects.
- PHP Code Sniffer – 6.8k Stars
- PHP Coding Standards Fixer – 8k Stars – Automatically correct PHP Coding Standards issues.
Popular Software Written in PHP
- WordPress – 12.8k Stars
- Drupal – 3.3k Stars
- Joomla – 3.3k Stars
- Magento – 7.8k Stars
- Flarum – 9.3k Stars – Forum Software.
- Monica – 7.7k Stars – Personal CRM.
- David Hayes. PHP for Beginners: Starting on Backend WordPress Development. wpshout, 2019.
- Starts from the very beginning (what is PHP?) and continues through variables, functions, conditionals, and recommends articles for next steps.
- Fred Meyer. Object-Oriented PHP: The __construct() Magic Method. wpshout, 2018.