- Public APIs – Stars: 110k – Updated: 1/2021 – Checked: 2/2021.
- Of particular interest to me are Anti-Malware, Books, Business, Cloud Storage & File Sharing, Cryptocurrency, Data Validation, Development, Dictionaries, Geocoding, Government, Health, Jobs, Machine Learning, Music, News, Open Data, Patents, Science & Math, Security, Social, Test Data, Text Analysis.
A full list of Web APIs is available on MDN. Below is a list of APIs I find particularly interesting/relevant for my projects.
- Canvas API – Used for drawing graphics, primarily 2D.
- Clipboard API – Allows one to read from and write to system clipboard.
- CSS Object Model (CSSOM) – HTML can be manipulated using the DOM, CSSOM allows the same for CSS.
- DOM – Allows languages to manipulate the structure/content of a document.
- Fetch API – Similar to XMLHttpRequest.
- Geolocation API – Allows user to share location data with a website.
- History API – Provides access to browser session history.
- IndexedDB – Provides client-side storage.
- Notifications API – Allows notifications outside of the browser.
- Payment Request API – Allows users to select payment method to provide to merchant in a standardized way.
- Service Worker API – Allows for an online experience with a web app/site when offline.
- Storage API – Manages all sorts of data stored client side.
- URL API – Allows interaction with URLs.
- Web Authentication API – Extends Credential Management API.
- Web Graphics Library (WebGL) API – Used for rendering 3D and 2D graphics.
- Web Storage API – Allows for storing key/value pairs, better than cookies.
- Web Workers API – Allow one to run a script in a separate thread from the web site/app.
- WebSocket API – Allows sustained two-way communications between a server and client.