“Solid is a specification that lets people store their data securely in decentralized data stores called Pods. Pods are like secure personal web servers for data. When data is stored in someone’s Pod, they control which people and applications can access it.”Solid Project Homepage
- Places data ownership and control firmly in the hands of the individual user.
- Allows for granular control of who and what can access and manipulate the data.
- Uses standard, open, and interoperable data formats and protocols.
- Authentication utilizes a decentralized extension of OpenID Connect.
- Backing by Tim Berners-Lee.
- Still fairly early in the development lifecycle, may be breaking changes or instability.
- Doesn’t work with other storage back-ends such as Google Drive, Dropbox, Microsoft OneDrive, etc.
- Official Solid Project Homepage – The main resource on Solid, also where one can get a free pod.
- Digita – Enterprise implementation of Solid.
- Data ownership and control in hands of the individual user.
- Automatic syncing across devices.
- First-class offline first support.
- More mature product.
- Lacks branding power provided by a Tim Berners-Lee.
- Struggled to gain momentum.