- The Great Divide by Chris Coyier, CSS-Tricks, 1/2019.
- One major ongoing difficulty in the development industry is the morphing of multiple positions into a single position – while there were historically front-end developers, back-end developers, and so on this has unified around full-stack developers who use JS on both the front and back ends.
- Along with many others Coyier suggests that this attempt to unify all tech under a single position leads to poor quality products. Chris’ emphasis is a bit more on front-end development and the split within this realm (between JS and HTML/CSS/design principles), but I think it portrays the underlying dichotomy of JS vs all well.
- Matt Adesanya’s A Gentler Introduction to Programming on freeCodeCamp. 10/2017.
- Zell Liew’s How to Think Like a Programmer on freeCodeCamp. 9/2017.
- The Missing Semester of Your CS Education (MIT Computer Science & Artificial Intelligence Lab)
- Covers the shell, shell tools and scripting, editors (vim), data wrangling, command-line environment, version control (git), debugging, profiling, metaprogramming, security, cryptography, and a potpourri of other subjects.
- What Is Node and When Should I Use It? by James Hibbard, SitePoint, 1/2018.
- A high level overview of Node.js including some basic code. A good first read.
- Understanding How Node.js Release Lines Work by Tierney Cyren, NodeSource, 5/2018.
- Helpful in understanding what versions of Node you should be using and covers some terminology and practices that are used by the development community at large.
- Create New Express.js Apps in Minutes with Express Generator by Paul Sauve, SitePoint, 5/2018.
- If you just want a brief overview, this might be a good place to start.
- Introducing Ionic 4: Ionic for Everyone by Max Lynch, Ionic Framework, 1/2019.
- Provides some helpful insight on the past, present, and future of Ionic.
- Run Multiple Isolated Web Applications on Containers with a Single IP for Free by Jeremy Cheng. ITNEXT, 3/2018.
- Explains how to place an nginx proxy in front of multiple containers running independent websites on a single system (e.g. VM/VPS).
- Functional Programming Primer by Joseph Rex. X-Team, 3/2017.
- A pretty basic introduction to FP, part of a series.
- GitHub Actions: The Best Practices Game Changer by Jon Collins. GigaOM, 10/2018.