Just a brief chronicle of my recent reinstall of WSLv2 on a Windows 10 system.
Note: Hyper-V was already installed and active on my system, but other virtualization related features including Containers, Virtual Machine Platform, Windows Hypervisor Platform, and Windows Sandbox were not.
- Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Windows Subsystem for Linux
- I want to use WSLv2 so before anything else I downloaded the kernel update from Microsoft.
- Open Command Prompt as an Administrator and run
wsl --set-default-version 2.
- By default, WSL uses v1 to v2 instance can take a while, so we avoid that conversion process by telling WSL to use v2 for everything by defualt.
- Open Windows Store, search for Ubuntu, install Ubuntu 18.04.
- Create a username and password and I’m up and running (that was easy).
- Grab the latest updates while I’m at it
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade.